Submissions close Friday, 20 August 2021, 11:59pm AEST.
IMAGE CREATION PERIOD
Please only submit images shot/created from 1 January 2020 to 20 August 2021, and ensure your metadata accurately reflects this.
The Annual includes 10 entry categories: Advertising, Aerial, Architecture, Art, Documentary, Emerging, Landscape, Portrait, Student, and Wedding.
More information about each of the categories can be found at the end of this page.
WHAT TO SEND
You can submit up to six (6) images – in total, in a single category, or across multiple categories. You must also include a Word, PDF, or RTF file with captions linked to filenames.
• JPEG files (maximum quality). *Do not send TIFFs, PSDs or RAW files
• Images should be 2,700 pixels on the longest side, 300ppi.
• Preferred colour space is Adobe RGB (1998).
IMAGE FILE NAMES
Please use the following file naming convention for each image:
If you are entering multiple entries, please adjust the last number accordingly. For example:
WATERMARKS, LOGOS, AND TEXT
Images must be free of text, watermarks, logos, and branding. This includes images with advertising copy or graphics. Images that include text, watermarks, logos or branding will not be considered.
Please include one document (saved as a Microsoft Word, PDF, TXT, or RTF document – not JPEG or Apple Pages format) that includes all your caption information.
The caption document should be included in a ZIP file along with your images.
The filename of the document should include your name. For example: GafenMarc-Captions.doc
Please include the following information with each caption:
• Image title
• Brief description
• Please indicate if the work was Commissioned or Personal work
• Name of retoucher (if someone other than the photographer)
If the work was commissioned, please also include the following:
• Agency (if commissioned)
• Client (if commissioned)
• Campaign name (if commissioned)
• Creative Director (if commissioned)
• Art Director (if commissioned)
** PLEASE NOTE: Submissions sent without caption/title information or the correct naming standard will not be considered.***
READY TO ENTER?
Our preferred sharing service is WeTransfer.
1. Do not e-mail your entry directly to us. ONLY submit your images via the free upload services WeTransfer, Hightail, WeSendIt, or similar.
2. Do not password-protect your submission.
3. Do not ZIP and upload individual files – they should all be included in a single ZIP file.
ADVERTISING: Images commissioned by a client for use in advertising, i.e. paid placement. (Self-commissioned works do not qualify.)
AERIAL: Includes images captured from aircraft and drones. Capture supports the safe and legal operation of remotely piloted aircraft (RPAs), including drones. All entries captured with an RPA must comply with local rules and regulations.
ARCHITECTURE: Images must be single capture and represent a building or structure that exists in reality.
ART: This is open category with the only stipulation being that images must be photographic in origin.
DOCUMENTARY: Images must be single capture. Images must be observed events and not staged by the photographer. Composites are ineligible. Adding or removing pixels through the use of cloning or other means is not permitted, other than to remove dust spots. Minor tone, noise, and sharpness changes are permitted, with the proviso that these changes do not fundamentally alter the narrative of the image. Composite techniques such as focus-stacking, multiple exposure, panoramic stitching, and HDR are prohibited.
EMERGING: Photographers with less than four year’s full-time professional experience (which includes no professional experience), photographic assistants, and those working towards being a professional photographer.
*** Please note if one image is entered in Emerging, all images must be included in that category as well.
LANDSCAPE: Images may be single capture or composites. If the latter, please ensure this is indicated in captions.
PORTRAIT: Images may be single capture or composites, and can be people and/or animal.
STUDENT: Open to current students of photography, in full- or part-time study, at university or recognised photography college. Images falling into the 1 January 2020 to 20 August 2021 period shot by recently graduated students are also acceptable.
*** Please note that if one image is entered in Student, all images must be included in that category as well.
WEDDING: Images commissioned by a client, taken at an actual wedding or civil ceremony. Images must not be composites.
1. Full copyright remains with the photographer.
2. By submitting images to The Annual, entrants provide Capture a limited-use authorisation to publish entered images in Capture's 'The Annual' issue, and to use images to promote Capture's 'The Annual' issue.
3. Information collected is never shared with third parties.
Need help with your entry? Send us an e-mail at TheAnnual@capturemag.com.au