THE ANNUAL 2020 – HOW TO MAKE A SUBMISSION
SUBMISSIONS TO THE ANNUAL 2020 ARE NOW OPEN
Thank you for taking the time to submit work for consideration for the biggest Capture edition of the year, The Annual: a showcase of the year's strongest work from Australian and international professional, emerging, and student photographers.
The last six month has been a very challenging time for the industry, and countless photographers around the globe have been unable to shoot commissioned work. As such, we're winding the date back relating to the eligibility period for images submitted for this very special edition.
Images shot after 1 January 2019, instead of 1 August 2019, will be considered, provided they have not previously been submitted for The Annual.
© Sean Izzard. 2019 cover.
- ADVERTISING: images commissioned by a client for use in advertising, i.e. paid placement.
Self-commissioned works do not qualify.
- AERIAL: includes images captured from aircraft and drones. Capture supports the safe and legal operation of remotely piloted aircraft (RPAs), including drones. All entries captured with an RPA must comply with local rules and regulations
- ARCHITECTURE: please indicate in captions if images are composites.
- DOCUMENTARY: new elements may not be added to an image in post production. Reliance on post production should be minimal.
- EDITORIAL/FASHION: editorial images are those shot for use in magazines and newspapers, in print or online.
- EMERGING: photographers with less than four year’s full-time professional experience (which includes no professional experience), photographic assistants, and those working towards being a professional photographer.
***Please note that if a single image is entered into Emerging, then all subsequent images must be included in that category as well.
- LANDSCAPE: please indicate in captions if images are composites.
- STUDENT: Open to current students of photography, in full- or part-time study, at university or recognised photography college. Images falling into the 1 January 2019 to 21 August 2020 period shot by recently graduated students are also acceptable.
***Please note if a single image is entered into Student, then all subsequent images must be included in that category as well.
- WEDDING: images commissioned by a client, taken at a wedding or civil ceremony. Images must not be composites.
© Helen Whittle. 2018 cover.
Please read carefully.
Submissions failing to follow the guidelines will not be accepted.
Deadline: Friday, 21 August 11:59pm, AEST (+10 GMT).
a. WHAT TO SEND.
Up to six (6) images - in total, across all or one category – of your best work shot from 1 January 2019 to 21 August 2020.
Only submit images shot/created during this period.
b. HOW AND WHERE TO SEND
1. Please ONLY submit your images via the free upload services WeTransfer, Hightail, or Dropbox. Our preference is for WeTransfer. And it's free, and you'll get notification that your submission has been downloaded.
2. Do not e-mail large ZIP files directly to the e-mail address listed below. They will be deleted.
3. Ensure you combine all images + caption info document into ONE ZIP file.
Name folders with YOUR NAME, not Capture magazine.
4. Do not password-protect submissions.
5. DO NOT ZIP AND UPLOAD INDIVIDUAL FILES - they should be in ONE ZIP file.
6. Please only use the address below:
c. IMAGE SPECS
Images should be 2,700 pixels on the longest side, 300ppi, JPEG maximum quality - DO NOT SEND TIFFs.
Please ensure images are free of ANY copy. This includes advertising copy and watermarks.
Images with advertising copy or watermarks on them will not be accepted.
d. NAMING FILES - IMPORTANT
Please indicate what category the images fall into – see above.
Please also indicate whether the work was commissioned or personal (using a C or P in the file name to designate.
This is not required for the Student and Emerging categories).
An example of a filename may be AdvertisingC-SurnameFirstName-1.jpg for a commissioned advertising shot or PortraitP-SurnameFirstName-2.jpg for a personal/non-commissioned portrait or Emerging-SurnameFirstName-3.jpg for an entry into Emerging.
Ensure image filenames begin with the category they are being entered into.
e. WHAT CAPTION INFO TO SEND
Please also send image caption/title information for each image in ONE document - not a document per image. This should be saved in a Word/PDF/RTF document, not JPEG or Apple Pages format, and be included in the ZIP file containing your image submissions.
You should also ensure that the document filename contains your name. For example: GafenMarc-Captions.doc
Please include the following information in your caption/title information:
- Image title
- Brief description, if applicable
- Retoucher (if commissioned)
- Agency (if commissioned)
- Client (if commissioned)
- Campaign name (if commissioned)
- Creative Director (if commissioned)
- Art Director (if commissioned)
***PLEASE NOTE: Submissions sent without caption/title information or the correct naming standard will not be considered.***
© Eric Ronald. 2015 cover.
Terms and conditions
1. Full copyright remains with the photographer.
2. Images accepted for The Annual may be used by Capture magazine to promote The Annual.
3. Information collected is never shared with 3rd parties.